Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cheng Beng

Pure Brightness Festival or Clear Bright Festival, Ancestors Day or Tomb Sweeping Day was on last Thursday. Chinese families gather together to visit the graveyard of the deceased for prayers with offerings.

When I was young, it has always been called as Cheng Beng. Only when I grew up, knew more Chinese, only I found out that it's actually called Cheng Ming or something like that. They didn't know what I was referring to in fact. Ahh I'm sad like that.

I guess, it's still one of the main festivals for Chinese families though in Singapore and Malaysia, a public holiday is not observed.


This is similar to Chuseok Day in South Korea which falls in Autumn instead. They are more diversified with the celebration. This has something to do with harvesting as well. They celebrate the good harvest and if there is no good harvest that year, they may not celebrate. They will also visit their ancestors at their hometown. They celebrate with big feast, like the traditional Korean food, rice wine, folk games and etc. Hence, the eldest daughter-in-law is the most unlucky one.

4 comments:

tIcKLeMe said...

Oh this year I tak balik Cheng Beng. Whyyyyyyyy must ppl call it Ching Ming! Ish.

The Pondering Introvert said...

hshshs yeah! After all these years, I am still not used of the word "Ching Ming" I still prefer it to be called "Cheng Beng" haha

tIcKLeMe said...

yea. cheng beng sounds more ... ada class. :D

The Pondering Introvert said...

That is so so so so true hahaha