Monday, June 15, 2020

PayPal - check out - 043019


This is my story of 2019. It was a long journey I had with PayPal. Some might know that my major is in hospitality. That didn't work out well because of the long hours and almost zero EPF. Hotel line isn't for everyone. Certainly not for me.

When PayPal came to Malaysia, I was trying my luck from a job fair in Midvalley. That was in 2011. It has been a long time. Fast forward to the end of 2018. Some of us heard rumors that it's about to close down. Nobody can give us an answer because ... management will keep their lips sealed. Thinking that, we prepared ourselves quietly, mentally.

Chinese New Year 2019 came and a few days later, we were all told to go to a nearby hotel (walking distance of course) at a specific time. There, we saw bouncers, our directors, some big bosses flew in from the US. What is happening? Well, looks like the rumors are true afterall. So many questions popped into our head the same time. I'm sure the same for the others. Maybe, some are smiling deep inside. But, just a minority. Questions like what will happen to us? What's next? How can I find another job that pays me the same? What kind of job should I apply for? When can I get a job? How do I tell my family? It was an emotional scene. I saw people broke down into tears with the fear of uncertainty. We were then brought into a room with each department separated. We would then be told our exit date. It happened too abruptly. We weren't prepared at all though we knew it before the actual announcement.

2 months later, we saw ourselves out from the exit door and that's the end of our PayPal journey. Some of us have been there 3.5 years, 5 years and myself? 7.42 years. We might have lost our jobs, but, we gained knowledge, opportunities and most of all, friendships. The company gave us a lot that it will never be the same anymore. Now, it depend on us to put in the effort, to keep in touch. It's no longer going to work having the same person sitting beside us anymore. There are no more iphones giveaways as lucky draw gifts for annual dinner. Haha.

Truth to be told, the culture has become toxic over time. 7 years over is a long time. It has become very localized that it's no longer a place everyone enjoys. Yet, they stay because .. with the amount of work, there's nowhere else that would offer the same pay.

As for me, I enjoyed my time there. It's sad to part ways but, we gotta do what we gotta do. We will meet half way. One door closes, the other opens. I applied for more than 100 over jobs with only 5 interviews being called. It wasn't just us getting retrenched. There were other companies too. So, we ain't competing with the only other 800.

To those who are still looking for a job and with this virus flying around, all the best. Opportunities will come knocking your way soon. Have faith.

PayPal, thank you for the experience and friendship you have given me along the way!

To all my friends, I don't work for them anymore. Don't come texting me for free consultation 🤣🤣🤣

No comments: