Friday, January 22, 2021

Punctuality in MY

Punctuality is a joke here.

So we all know how Malaysians are when it comes to timing. Punctuality is so important. So important that it has a deeper meaning to it, such as, respect towards time, respect towards the other person.

I'm less fortunate that this is inborn with me, that I grew up adhering to the time so much that at times, it does me no good. During my early adulthood, I had to put up with ridiculous timing from some people, friends mostly. Are they still my friends? I guess. What have changed? Nothing much except that I don't meet them one on one anymore.

Since my major was in the hospitality industry, I was trained well during those few years to get my degree. Timing is no joke. For some lecturers, being on time equals to being late.

But, why? Why are people always late?

I have very painful experience waiting for people. It went up to hours before. How did I feel? Like shit.

In all honesty, I am not super early to an appointment either. I'm just few minutes early. But, I end up waiting 30 minutes, 1 hour that sort of thing. 

Are people apologetic?

Mostly no. 

So, why do people promise something they cannot keep?

I don't know, I hope someone can enlighten this one day. Perhaps, they want to be included in everything. It's okay to decline an appointment, it's alright to say no. But, it's not right to agree to an appointment and you're late, all the time. It gets so frustrating that the thought of unfriending came up. I have taken a break from a friendship because of this, a couple of times.

So, I have made a tremendous improvement on my response if people are late compared to 10 years ago. I used to flare up, I used to flip. But now? It's not that I don't care anymore, but let's just say that I'm going out much lesser these days (apart from Covid) and that telling the same person again and again the same thing? I don't feel good too. In the end, I just choose where to go and who I go with. If these people whose hobbies are being late? Either meet me nearby my house, or let's just continue what we do and not meet each other. That's the best way to live. 

Either one has to change. If none can change, let's not meet. Everyone will be happy. Win-win in the end.

Respect is so valuable these days. Do not take advantage, and earn it.

Just because everyone is doing it here, we should not normalize it. It's wrong, it's wrong in so many levels. Learn to be better, learn to be punctual. 

No comments: