Saturday, November 20, 2021

Yemeni-Arabic Food

Hello y'all. It has been a long long time. This time round, at least, we are almost there, back to normalcy. But, what exactly is normalcy in today's term? Wear your masks, sanitize, social distancing. That's the definition. You know that boring stuff? Yeah, but it is what it is. Glad that I was born in the 80s, I did not have to grow up with masks as my best friend. The worst isn't the masks (sometimes it can get hard too), but it's the check ins and outs (I forget all the time). Prior to the pandemic, I love wearing masks LOL.

Of course, like others, I have removed myself from being a hermit. I have started going out with real people, not just meeting random people on the street while walking my dog.

Moving on to the actual purpose of this post, on off throughout the years, I have gone for Arabic food. I'm not well-versed with the dishes, just that handful that I know. These days, it's so easy, go with a friend who used to be in Dubai. That's the solution haha. We went for Yemeni food, Yay!


Disclaimer, this is based on my personal taste and experience.


It was raining the other day and friend said "let's go find Habibi." The proper meaning of "Habibi" means "my love" but we use it loosely whenever we wanna go for Arabic food. The first time I heard this was from my Arabic guests back when I was still working in the hotel industry. Yeah the industry really died. Ok anyway, back in October, friend wanted Arabic food so we went Google searching and with friends recommendation to try this place. But, it was closed on a Friday. What a day to close right? Business owner decides, customers follow. So this time, we have decided to go back to this area to try specifically this restaurant on a Thursday, just to see what the hype was all about. Reviews were really good, but that's also dangerous because that's when you really expect something.
Lamb Haneeth. I have always love Mandi rice. This was average. This comes from someone who rarely eats Arabic food. But I still love the rice, not sure if it's because of the long and winding traffic jam I was stuck in.
This might look bigger than it actually is. The bread! A must-have for Arabic food. It's the 4 of us. We had to order another bread.
Hummus was not bad. It's one of the first few Arabic dishes I was exposed to. The soup over there was extremely salty. Thank God my hair did not drop off the next day. The black stone pot is Fasha, lamb stew. Salty too. If only it isn't this salty.
Last was mixed grill. I didn't like the rice. It's called the Kabsah rice. Since we already had Mandi rice earlier, so we took a different kind of rice for mixed grill for variation purpose as suggested by the guy who took our order. But okay, I never had this before. So it's a good try though.


We ordered an egg too, I forgot what it's called but looks like a pale-looking-scrambled. After looking at that, I actually do not know what to expect, if it's supposed to be looking like that and tasting like that. So apparently no. But what I really like there was the garlic sauce, it was so good! and the lemon mint drink. Damn! That was super refreshing.

Is there a possibility to return? It's a no for me. Or perhaps, their standard has dropped because it has been there for a long time. It must be good right? Luck is not on our side this time. I'm sure there are people who would appreciate it. 😉 Or maybe, that was a day gone wrong, I'm not sure then. We weren't feeling very half moonly, just crescent moon that night.

Coming up next: Al Saraya Arabic food. 😆

No comments: