Thursday, March 31, 2022

Starstruck

I often hear about fans getting starstruck while on the job, they take advantage of their position. What I really miss about working in a hotel is this, to meet these stars and celebrities in person. But, it puts me in such a huge dilemma, my personal gain or to remain professional. My conscious and principle won the battle. In the end, I treat them like any other guests, smile and I was dying inside. I was so close yet so far away from them, literally one meter apart. I see them right before my eyes, yet I could not take a photo with them, I could not get their autograph, all in the name of professionalism. 

So when I hear about these "fans" asking for autograph or a photo with them and they get turned down, or get a complaint thereafter, I understand the star's position. They pay for business class, or they pay for a suite room is to have sufficient rest, and be private about it. They escaped from the public, doesn't make it okay for the service line employees to interrupt their rests. They could have said no, I get it. But, if his or her time is occupied to turn fans down, what kind of organization is that to not protect their privacy? As a guest, you want to be in peace, and comfortable.

If they signed just one, there'll be a line of other fans waiting for that autograph too. Back to 2008/2009 when I was still that noob in my first job, the celebrities I really liked appeared in front of me. I died several times in the course of few seconds when I took the same elevator as them. All I could say to them was "How was your day?" instead of "OMG I really love you, can I take a photo with you." It's SO hard. Another encounter was to get an invoice signature from him. I died multiple times. Then, the final one was him being locked out from his room, shirtless. Geez. The chocolate abs. That "him" is actually referring to all different celebrities haha. 

Did I regret not taking photo or autograph? Yeah, in the back of my head, it's always "what if." But then, if I turn back the clock, I would still do the same thing and respect their privacy. It is a huge responsibility as a frontliner and in the service line. The guests and organizers had entrusted you to handle these VIPs with care, so we should render the service as how it should be. You need to be responsible and you're representing that organization. I would just die multiple times inside and that's about it. I chose to be in this line, I need to be able to handle these moments too. But oh well. 

I know this was nothing, there's no proof, but there's no need for proof, there's no need for evidence. I keep it safe with me in my memories. Such a waste I know, but well. It's not all about social media though we are all steering towards that unhealthy direction. That's one of those sweet memories I had during my hospitality era. 

No comments: